[MantaReport] Sunday, August 10, 2014. Twenty Mantas @ Garden Eel Cove

Keller Laros kellerlaros at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 14:05:02 PDT 2014

Sunday, August 10, 2014 Twenty I Mantas @ Garden Eel  Cove
I saw five mantas on the afternoon dive including Koie Shirley and Curly.
On the night dove we saw Timbuktu. KaiZed. Tim. Ho. Sugar. Orion. Eli. Grayer. Curly. Koie. Shirley. Vallaray. Melaineh. Lisa. Lee. Bertha. Vicky. Jana. Tanquaray. Blain.
Sixteen boats.  Jack's. Big Isle x 2 KOA x 2. Aloha Kona. Splashers. Hang Loose. Neptune. Kamanu. Coral Reef. Sunlight on Water. Wicked Wahine. Miss Mojo. KDC. Torpedo tours.
One slightly disturbing incident is that a videographer stayed under the snorkelers about 60 feet inside of the circle. All the while the patient divers waited at the circle for about 20 minutes watching the distant mantas with the snorkelers and videographer. Then a group of 7 divers (none had marker lights so I couldn't tell who was the guide) came and saw the mantas and the videographer and the snorkelers and went and sat in the coral rather then over at the circle. At that point I wrote on my slate "please come to the circle" and showed the videographer who did come to the circle. Then I showed my slate to the mystery group of divers and they also came over.
I believe that it's incumbent on those of us w years of experience doing manta dives to share our knowledge with the less seasoned participants.
Lead from the front. Don't say "charge" instead say "follow me".

Sent from my iPhone