[MantaReport] Manta Report, May 19, 2014. Three mantas @ Garden Eel Cove. Mooring breaks w boats attached.

Keller Laros kellerlaros at gmail.com
Tue May 20 11:48:51 PDT 2014

Manta Report, May 19, 2014. Three mantas @ Garden Eel Cove.  Mooring
breaks w boats attached.
On the afternoon dive I saw the manta rays Captain Mike and a smaller
one as well as a large male hawksbill turtle.
On the night dive we had mantas Orion under the boats on the south
moorings and Captain Mike and Hans doing fly byes at the light circle.
 After the mantas failed to stay at the light circle some divers and
snorkelers went into the shallow sand near the middle inside mooring
and some went toward the south moorings. I visited both locations.
The plankton was thicker at the south mooring but the show was better
at the shallow sand.
I was told that during the dive the middle deep mooring broke with two
boats on it and that they were blown by the strong wind into the boat
on the middle inside and that damage occurred to at least one of the
boats.
I am positive that all the day use moorings have been checked and had
standard and preventative maintenance with in the past month.  None
the less the first diver in the water should take a minute to inspect
the mooring prior to conducting their dive tour.
The mooring at Tako City, closer to Keahole Point was reported as
broken on Monday morning even though it too was inspected recently.
Be safe. Have fun.
Keller