[MantaReport] Friday 10-24-14, at least 14 mantas at Garden Eel Cove and a ring was found

Keller Laros kellerlaros at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 01:45:52 PDT 2014

Friday 10-24-14, at least 14 mantas.

Saw 4 mantas at a time on the afternoon dive as well as spinner dolphins.

On the night dive we saw

6 Females.  Bertha Cailla Shirley Delany Melaineh Mango.  8 Males Tim
Timbuktu Grayer Jordan Ralph's Uhane Orion Vinny.

It was a pretty big cluster tonight.  For about 20 mins there were just a
few fly byes at camp fire and sparse plankton. A couple of guides went in
search of mantas and returned indicating to the 30+ waiting scuba divers
that the mantas were in the shallow sand.  I took my group to the shallow
sand and though there was plenty of plankton we were alone.

We then went further north and found snorkelers on the surface being video
taped and scuba divers on the coral below. I think being on the sand is
better then the coral.

Perhaps in the future we should advocate trying to encourage the snorkelers
and divers to work together to protect the coral reef environment and move
to the central sand area.

A silver ring was found on a dive at Garden Eel Cove.  If anyone is missing
one let me know.

Good luck on Saturday.

Keller