[MantaReport] Friday 3-31-23, Eight Mantas at Makako Bay

Kathleen Katt riverhag at me.com
Sat Apr 1 00:08:04 PDT 2023

I wanted to share the video and still photos of three mantas that came to Honolii/Alae point in Hilo and were skimming the white “foam” along a current line. However this was right after a mother and baby whale were hanging out. i will send the video of the mom baby in the next email. I don’t want to send too much in one email. We think the Mantas were eating the skin or milk of the whales. Watch the stuff come off of the whale on that video.

Do any of these look like Kona Mantas? I just went last Monday with Manta Adventures and saw at least 12 Mantas at the same time at Makako bay. No big Bertha. No Lefty. All verage sized and beautiful. I got to gaze in to their eye a couple times. What a show. It was sooo chaotic and crowded. Sustainable? Looked like a Disney production or acid trip with lights and sounds and commands and screams…..

Kathleen Katt MD, FACEP
Hilo Medical Center
Chief Medical Officer
1190 Waianuenue Avenue