[MantaReport] Friday 3-31-23, Eight Mantas at Makako Bay

Janice at MPRF janice at mantapacific.org
Tue Apr 4 12:28:16 PDT 2023

Aloha Kathleen!

I’m not sure if anyone replied to your email or not, but this is great info!

Unfortunately since it is drone footage and none of the mantas rolled and displayed their ventral side, there is no way to see their spot patterns and therefore no way to identify them as an existing Kona manta or not. Next time, you’re just going to have to jump in the water with a camera :-)

It is still beneficial to have the sighting information from Hilo side as we get very little insight as to what is happening manta wise there. If you would like to fill out one of our sighting reports here:
http://www.mprf.net/identification/report-a-sighting.html

then we would have more accurate time and location information from you. Don’t worry about attaching any images or videos as we already have them.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Thanks,
Janice
MPRF