[MantaReport] manta with spear

Doug Perrine perrine at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 2 17:25:06 PDT 2013

Snorkelers with Dolphin Essence reported seeing a manta ray with a 4-6 foot spear through its wing hanging around the north end of the cleaning station at Mahaiula / Veto's Reef this morning about 10:30 - 11:00 am. Members participating in manta dives this week might consider bringing bolt cutters on the boat in case the manta shows up. So far I've seen no photos to identify the manta. If anyone gets a photo, please post it to the list, and also send me a copy at perrine at hawaii.rr.com
btw - As you know, manta rays are already protected in Hawaii under statewide law. However the rules to protect eagle rays and 3 other species of rays in West Hawaii (along with some species of sharks, aquarium fish, etc.) are currently held up in the Governor's office, while he deliberates whether to sign them or succumb to pressure from commercial fishing/ collecting interests. Please contact Governor Neil Abercrombie at (808) 586-0034 AND through the form on his website at http://governor.hawaii.gov/forms/contact/ and ask him to sign the WHRFMA rules (West Hawaii Regional Fisheries Management Area Rules). mahalo, Doug Perrine