[MantaReport] Friday, 10-4-13, Four Mantas at Garden Eel Cove

Keller Laros kellerlaros at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 12:01:00 PDT 2013

Friday, 10-4-13, Four Mantas at Garden Eel Cove.
I saw 3 mantas on the afternoon dive.  Only able to ID Eli.
On the night dive we had Eli, Timbuktu, Hayden and Jordan.
During the night dive some of the plankton observed above the light circle
seemed to be larval fish, like tiny minnows. Plankton was moderately
abundant all over the entire dive site and not especially thick at the
light circle.  As a result while we had a fine viewing the manta activity
not overly concentrated.
On the afternoon dive an impressive pocket of cold water was located at
approximately 60 feet near the goat fish below the south moorings.  During
the night dive we had such heavy rain you could hear it 35 feet below the
surface. Prerhaps these factors affected the plankton?
Twelve or more boats, Jack's x 2, Big Isle x 2, Miss Mojo, Kona Aloha
Tours, Kamanu, Kona Dive Co., Kona Ocean Adventures x 2, Wicked Wahine,
Neptune Charlie's.
Good luck Saturday.
Keller