[MantaReport] Monday 6-23-14, Nine Manta Rays at Keauhou Bay and Koie inured

Keller Laros kellerlaros at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 09:01:08 PDT 2014

Monday 6-23-14, Nine Manta Rays at Keauhou Bay.
I saw Jana and Grayeron the afternoon dive.
On the night dive I saw Linda, Koie, Lefty, Kailey, Melaineh, Jana
Mango and Grayer. Plankton was a 4.
Twenty Three boats. Jack's x 2, Big Isle x 3, Kona Honu Divers,
Kamanu, Splashers 2 trips, Kona Naiia, Kona Dive Co., Kona Ocean
Adventures, Pueo Kai, Coral Sea Adventures, Scuba Shack, Neptune
Charlie's, Sunlight On water, Wicked Wahine, Hula Kai, Hokuhale,
Kinikini and two boats w Blue Sea Cruises as well as a dozen or more
Kayaks and Paddle Boards.
I saw that Koie had injuries from where she'd gotten entangled in a rope.
It's really important that we do everything we can to keep the manta
rays safe and having an open water column for them to swim in is
paramount to this.  Make sure lines used to tether boats, boards and
kayaks and buoyant.  NEVER place lights on bottom near anchors or
mooring.  Surface light must stay well away from moorings and anchors.