[MantaReport] mooring update

Jeff Leicher jeffleicher at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 14:37:49 PDT 2014

Aloha, users of Day-Use Moorings.  Just some mooring info (not a manta report, sorry).  Last month I repaired the broken/missing moorings at "Carpenters" (just south of "High Rock") and "Tako City" (just south of "Garden Eel Cove").  Tako City was almost certainly vandalized, as I just just replaced it days before it was cut again.  This time I installed all chain (no rope) in an attempt to make it resistant to vandalism.  However, that makes it even more important to use plenty of scope when tying to this mooring, as there is no stretch in the vertical line, and tying tight to it could put stress on the pins.  Finally, I have a report that one of the pins is broken on the North mooring at Garden eel Cove.  So until we're able to re-drill and replace the second pin there, use extreme caution on that mooring - if the second pin fails, it could be exciting.  As always, check the hardware each time you use a Day-Use Mooring, and report any failures or weaknesses.  Mahalo, Jeff.