[MantaReport] mooring work

Jeff Leicher jeffleicher at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 00:53:20 PST 2015

Aloha, Captains/crew.  On Friday, we replaced the moorings at “Old Airport South” or “Sharkfin Rock” (it was gone) and “Pyramid Pinnacle Inside” (it was wearing).  This week, the Kona Aggressor crew will replace a Red Hill Mooring known as “Bay of Pig” or “Sharky’s” (wearing thin).  We hope to be replacing the missing pins at Garden Eel Cove North, Old Airport, and others as soon as we can get our drill repaired.  Meanwhile, be vigilant when using those single-pin moorings.

Remind your crew to check mooring components at the beginning of each dive, and report any worn components to me.  Always check the rope just below the buoy, on the “old-style” buoys (where the rope runs through the buoy rather than the newer "chain-through-the buoy” style).  Eventually, the ball chafes the line at that point.  When the line breaks, it’s always exciting, and could be worse.  Thanks, Jeff.