[MantaReport] monk seal sightings

Doug Perrine perrine at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Feb 14 11:51:12 PST 2015

Just a reminder to all divers, crew, and captains: please report all sightings of monk seals, whether in the water or onshore, to the marine mammal hotline for the Big Island at (808) 987-0765. Please note any flipper tags (red),  scars, or numbers marked on the fur that may help identify the animal. Hawaiian monk seals as a species are declining at a rate of 3% per year. The resident population on the Big Island consists of exactly three animals. The individual that has been joining the manta dives the last few days is the only female, and thus represents the continuation or demise of our Hawaii Island population of this rare and endangered animal. The volunteer network is very interested in tracking and monitoring each and every animal, so your phone calls, photos and video are essential. The earlier a call comes in, the better the chance of volunteers being able to identify the animal and respond to any potential threats to it. Please remember that photographing a seal that approaches you is fine. Pursuing it is potentially considered “harassment”, and a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Touching or feeding a monk seal will most likely lead to its removal from the population. If “Waimanu” (our female) develops a pattern of approaching humans due to conditioning by physical contact and/or feeding, she will be removed to eliminate the inevitable threat to human safety, and we will lose our only female. We have already lost 3 seals this way in the last 12 years or so. Waimanu herself was the last successful addition to the population when she was born 6.5 years ago. She had one pup in 2013, but it only lived for 5 months. We are hoping that she will have another chance to rebuild the population. Mahalo for your kokua.