[MantaReport] mantas at GEC.14jan2015

luke mason octofishboy at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 14:01:03 PST 2015

I saw rusty several times on the first dive.I was doing a reef dive on the night dive so I saw some of these mantas not at the campfire, (ho and bertha were definitely cruising the reef early on the dive) grayer and nick were spotted by our snorkel guides.we had a total of
11 mantas
big bertha, peg, mango, shirley
grayer, nick, ho ray, orion, jordan, rusty, eli.
plankton looked good on the deep campfire
probably 17 boats, 100ish snorkliers, 30? divers
on a side note, I saw considerable damage to the coral on the south side of the bay from a small sand plough anchor that appeared not to be able hold the large boat in the sand with the amount of scope being used. This was the boat that ended up having all the snorklers and mantas around it (sadly ironic). let's all do our best to protect the environment that provides us with our livelihoods we are lucky enough to share.
hui hou tonight for anyone braving the swell,luke
13jan2015
didn't get a chance to post yesterday but I saw;
2 mantas.  eli and orion.   good planktonorion was the main manta putting on the show for the divers which was a first for me. always exciting to see a manta getting more comfortable around the lights and chaos.